MochaMike

Mating
Norman Rush
The Unknown University
Roberto Bolaño, Laura Healy
Postmodern Belief: American Literature and Religion since 1960 (20/21)
Amy Hungerford
The Fun Stuff: And Other Essays
James Wood
Enoch Soames - Max Beerbohm I’m working my way, slowly, through Roberto Bolaño’s [b:Between Parentheses: Essays, Articles, and Speeches, 1998-2003|9550623|Between Parentheses Essays, Articles, and Speeches, 1998-2003|Roberto Bolaño|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328008358s/9550623.jpg|1332036], loving it, and adding titles zealously from those he recommends to my TBR list while kicking myself in the ass for not learning Spanish and reading some of the recommendations in the original language—one of many great losses to me. In a brief essay called The Perfect Story, Bolaño extols the virtues of Max Beerbohm’s Enoch Soames. For a Bolañophile, there’s no ignoring that story, especially since it’s free for Kindle users. It’s brief; it’s fun. The Aha moment(s) surprise. Bolaño says of this title:
If I had to choose between the fifteen best stories I’ve read in my life, “Enoch Soames” would be among them, and not in last place.
I can’t speak to its perfection. I’m really not an avid reader of short stories or novellas and can’t speak to them authoritatively. I can say that this is a helluva story and heartily recommend it. One for the fantasy heads, one for the supernatural heads; genre-reading I can live with.