Bolaño once called him ‘the greatest living poet in the Spanish language.’ González Eschevaría says, ‘The chief trait Parra picked up from the avant-garde was a playful humor that makes him unique in Latin American poetry, and anticipates the novels of the Boom.’
Some samples chosen for their brevity:SUPERSONIC DEATH
zooms by at high speed
in the direction of the old folks’ home
without paying any attention to me
as if I were a red-lipped teenager
when death knows full well I’m her fiancé
and all I do these days is yawn
evasive death—indifferent death
you are the biggest flirt of allNOTE ON THE LESSONS OF ANTIPOETRY
1. In antipoetry, it’s poetry that is sought, not eloquence.
2. Antipoems should be read in the same order in which they were written.
3. We must read poems with the same hunger we bring to antipoems.
4. Poetry happens—so does antipoetry.
5. The poet speaks to all of us, without discrimination.
6. Often our pleasure in antipoetry is impaired by our curiosity: we attempt to understand and dispute when we shouldn’t do either.
7. Read in good faith if you want to partake, and don’t ever find your satisfaction in the author’s name.
8. Ask your questions openly and listen without argument to the poet’s words; don’t be impatient with the pronouncements of the elders—they don’t make them by accident.
9. Hi to everyone.HOW RIGHT WAS THE OWL WHEN SHE SAID
Not Mohammed and not Bush:
The Champion of Methodical Doubt:
I doubt, therefore I am
The author of this anti-review reserves the right to return, and perhaps, to add a review.